Even though I know I’m going to spend the vast majority of Saturdays studying, I like the mostly unstructured nature of Saturdays. I say that, but really it is structured kinda. I mean, I get up by 8:30, have breakfast and hit the books for a few hours before taking a break and hitting the books for another few hours. I’ve pretty much decided that given how much Mondays suck for me this semester, that when I study on Saturday I’m also going to take a look at my Monday night workload and see how heavy it is and see if I can take on some of it over the weekend. I didn’t study at all after classes yesterday and I think I’m going to have to change that. I may not go all out on Friday nights like I do the rest of the school week, but I think I need to do at least a little studying on Friday afternoon.
I talked to my mom yesterday. I wanted to know if the insurance card had arrived yet, but it hadn’t. I should call the clinic on Monday and make sure that’s not going to be too big of an issue if it’s not here by the 31st. I’m hoping it’s not. I also mentioned to her that I’m thinking of coming up in October, probably the weekend of the 15th if I can manage it. I told her I picked that weekend because that’s the weekend Ohio State comes to Madison to play the Badgers. The game’s on ESPN and I don’t get ESPN. Speaking of college football, they announced yesterday that several of the BCS games, including the Title Game, will be on ESPN. If my Badgers are playing in any of them, I may have to stay there longer than I’d initially planned on. Initially I was only thinking of going up a few days before Christmas and staying through the day after New Year’s, but I’m not sure now. I’d hate to miss my Badgers playing and I’m not the type to go to a sports bar to watch a game. I’m not the type to go to a bar at all, come to think of it.
No guys yet, though that’s to be expected. In case, I’ve not mentioned it yet, there are 135 1Ls (first year law students) and somewhere around 52 women. So there are plenty of guys in my class (and I suspect in the upper years as well). However, I only have half of that 135 in my classes. The rest are in the other section (imagine grade grade school days where you were with the same people all day, and the teachers were the ones who changed rooms). It’s kind of nice for this first semester, as finding your way around the law school building is one less worry to deal with (as it’s a bit confusing). That way you have time to learn the building and explore a little. And who knows, maybe there will be a grad student in another area who’s LDS that I’ll meet at church tomorrow (I didn’t go last week as I had a headache and didn’t feel well – wanted to make sure I wasn’t getting sick before classes started). The rest of the university doesn’t actually start until this coming Monday, so who knows.
On a different subject, I just have to mention how wonderful Microsoft OneNote is. It was introduced as part of Office 2007 Student Edition and it’s an awesome program to say the least for students. It’s a note-taking program and is so much better than Word for taking notes. Seriously, if you ever get the chance to play around with it a little bit, do so. The best part is how organized it can keep me. You create notebooks, and within those notebooks you create sections and within each section you have pages. So I keep a notebook for each of my classes and then a personal notebook. For my four core law classes, each notebook has three sections – Reading Assignments, Class Notes, and Cases. I can also create Outlook tasks and reminders directly from OneNote or I can take an email from Outlook and send it to OneNote if I need to. It’s just an awesome program.
To the maybe one person reading this blog – have you ever felt like you were meant for something more, but you don’t know what that “more” is, or how to even get there? I think for me, that’s a large part of why I’m in law school. Being a lawyer, or even just having the law degree, is a way to do more than what I was doing.
No comments:
Post a Comment