First, it was nice to see OpenDiary back up earlier this morning. However it appears to be down at the moment. Second, and most importantly (plus connected to OD), I’ve decided to take on a rather large project. Over the years, I’ve written journal entries in multiple places on the web. I’ve decided to start transferring them all to ldsjournal so I can have them printed and bound into books. It’s not going to be quick for a multitude of reasons. First, there’s a lot of entries, going back multiple years in multiple sites. I’ve got to try and find all the websites (if possible). I know there are some where that’s no longer possible. Second, I’ve already discovered when I copy/paste from OpenDiary to ldsjournal, the formatting goes all funky on me. So not only do I have to find all those entries, I also have to reformat all of them. The biggest formatting problem seems to be with line breaks. For whatever reason, there seems to be an artificial line break well before necessary, so I have to fix those. So its not fast. But it’s something I need to do.
Speaking of journal entries, I need to be better about writing everyday in the first place. No sense going to all this trouble if I’m not also going to start writing everyday again. Of course, in addition to writing everyday, I need to start doing the other things needed to build my faith.
I’m happy to say that on the whole, things are going well for me right now. I moved into my apartment on Saturday, July 31st. I’m currently into my 12th week living here and it feels like home (as I mentioned in my last entry). I’m loving school, I really like the ward, I LOVE my apartment. Things are pretty busy around here – I’m not lacking for deadlines but I’m definitely enjoying what I’m learning. Interestingly enough, I’m also enjoying the Socratic Method. Back in Jan 2008, I started thinking about law school and actually bought a book to study for the LSAT. In the end, I didn’t take the LSAT at that time. I read some books about law school and the more I read, the more law school scared me, especially the Socratic Method. But now that I’m immersed in law school and experiencing the Socratic Method, I like it. I see the differences between say, my Civil Procedure class where my professor pretty much just lectures and my other substantive classes, where the professors go through the cases and use the Socratic method. It’s much easier to get the information out of the cases and understand where things are going when the Socratic method is used, as opposed to lecture. That might also be why I had some issues with my undergrad law classes. In those classes, the professors just lectured on the cases. Lecturing on cases makes it hard to truly understand the cases. I understand now why they use the Socratic Method in law school. It seems so scary going in, but so long as you’re prepared and willing to use critical thinking skills, it’s okay.
No comments:
Post a Comment